The often-discarded flowers are prized by some, and can usually be found fried and stuffed with cheese. If you're not feeling quite motivated enough to carefully stuff each little blossom and coat, dredge and fry them, there is an easier way to enjoy this seasonal delicacy. Paired with earthy mushrooms and their best friend, cheese, squash blossoms shine.
When preparing your blossoms, snap off the stems and remove the stamens with your hands or a paring knife, carefully to remove as little of the petals as possible. I bought my squash blossoms from a stand at my local farmers' market, but they can sometimes be found in specialty grocers.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or grapeseed oil)
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup mushrooms (preferably cremini, sliced)
- 1 cup squash blossoms (about 15 blossoms, stems and stamens removed, roughly chopped)
- Pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 medium flour tortillas
- 1 cup Oaxaca cheese (shredded)
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola or grapeseed oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add the squash blossoms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked off. Set aside.
- Rinse and wipe out pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Brush one side of a tortilla with oil and cook, oil-side down, for 1-2 minutes while you brush other side with oil. Flip and top half of the tortilla with 1/8 cup of cheese, then 1/4 of the mushrooms and blossom mix, followed by another 1/8 cup of cheese.
- Fold in half and cook about 3 minutes per side or until well-toasted and the cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- If you're not lucky enough to find squash blossoms, replace the blossoms with small diced zucchini. Smaller, firm zucchinis works best.
- If you can't find Oaxaca cheese, use Monterey Jack instead.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||101 g|
|Saturated Fat||39 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||36 g|
|Dietary Fiber||23 g|