|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||36%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These summer squash fritters are made with the addition of shredded cheddar cheese. A bit of minced onion and cornmeal add flavor and texture to the simple fritters.
The fritters are great with Sriracha mayonnaise (see below), chipotle mayonnaise, or ranch style dressing. They make a great snack or side dish.
- 2 pounds/3 to 4 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 bottle of oil for deep frying
Remove stem and blossom ends of squash and cut them into large chunks. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook until squash is very tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly
In a large bowl, mash the drained squash. Add the remaining ingredients to the mashed squash and blend well.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate the batter for a few hours, or fry them right away.
Heat about 2 inches of oil in a deep saucepan or deep fryer to 370 F.
Drop squash batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil.
Cook the squash fritters until they are golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, turning them as they fry to brown all sides.
Remove with a metal slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Serve hot with Sriracha mayonnaise (see below) or another dipping sauce.
- Always fry fritters in small batches to keep the oil temperature from dropping rapidly.
- Move fritters around as they fry so they can brown evenly and to keep them from sticking together.
- To keep batches warm as you fry subsequent batches, have an oven preheated to 200 F. After draining, place the fritters on a rack in a baking pan and place them in the warm oven.
- Quick Sriracha Mayo: Mix 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 1 or 2 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce and 2 tablespoons of Asian chili paste (sambal).
- Replace the finely chopped onion with finely chopped green onion.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley to the batter.
- Add a few tablespoons of crumbled cooked bacon to the batter.