|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||21%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 7mg||34%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These summer squash fritters are made with the addition of shredded cheddar cheese. A bit of minced onion and cornmeal add flavor and texture to the simple fritters.
The fritters are great with Sriracha mayonnaise (see below), chipotle mayonnaise, or ranch-style dressing. They make a great snack or side dish.
3 to 4 (2 pounds) medium yellow summer squash
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, beaten
1 bottle oil, for deep-frying
Remove stem and blossom ends of squash and cut them into large chunks. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook until squash is very tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
In a large bowl, mash the drained squash. Add the remaining ingredients to the mashed squash and blend well.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate the batter for a few hours or fry them right away.
Heat about 2 inches of oil in a deep saucepan or deep fryer to 370 F.
Drop squash batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil.
Cook the squash fritters until they are golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, turning them as they fry to brown all sides.
Remove with a metal slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Serve hot with Sriracha mayonnaise (see below) or another dipping sauce.
- Always fry fritters in small batches to keep the oil temperature from dropping rapidly.
- Move fritters around as they fry so they can brown evenly and to keep them from sticking together.
- To keep batches warm as you fry subsequent batches, have an oven preheated to 200 F. After draining, place the fritters on a rack in a baking pan and place them in the warm oven.
- Quick Sriracha Mayo: Mix 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 1 or 2 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce and 2 tablespoons of Asian chili paste (sambal).
- Replace the finely chopped onion with finely chopped green onion.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley to the batter.
- Add a few tablespoons of crumbled cooked bacon to the batter.