Salad is always one of the best foods to eat during the summer time. In fact salad is great to eat anytime of the year but one of my favourite summer dishes is this squid salad with Taiwanese five-flavour sauce (五味醬). My husband is only now really warming to salad in his mid thirties but I made this the other day and everyone, my daughter included, loved it.
Taiwanese five-flavour sauce is a popular dipping sauce for seafood in Taiwan. Taiwanese people serve this sauce with raw oysters, cooked prawns, cooked squid, octopus and mussels. You will see this sauce in every seafood restaurant in Taiwan.
This five-flavour sauce as the name suggests embraces five different flavours; sour, sweet, bitter, spicy and pungent. I added some olive oil to this recipe because I hope people can use this sauce as a salad dressing rather than just a dipping sauce. You can adjust the amount of seasonings as per your personal preference. I found the kitchen I got from the supermarkets here in the UK is quite sour so sometimes I will add a little extra sugar to make this sauce sweeter. You can replace the vinegar with rice vinegar, sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar as you wish.
If you are not sure about cross-cutting the squid or you think it’s simply too much hassle or will take too long, then cut the squid into rings or simply dice it. Any method is complete fine. Cooking should be both enjoyable and free and you should never be bounded by a recipe. When I worked as a fine dining chef we were bound by recipes, and that was fine for that cooking scenario, but in my personal cooking I like to improvise a lot. That way rather than eating someone else’s preference you’re discovering your own.
Also if you don’t like boiled or blanched squid, then you can try to chargrill the squid.
I hope you like this simple, quick and delicious salad dish from my home country Taiwan.
If you like recipe like this please have a look of my book "Home-Style Taiwanese Cooking"
- For the Salad:
- 370g/13 1/8 ounces squid tube (cleaned, washed and cross-cut)
- 140g (5 ounces) broccoli (cut into small florets)
- 6 baby corn (cut in half)
- 6 cherry tomato (cut in half)
- For the Five-Flavour Sauce:
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped)
- Mix all the ingredients for five-flavour sauce in a small bowl and leave it aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Boil some water in a saucepan and blanch the broccoli until it’s tender. Take it out from the water and cool down immediately under cold water. Then drain the water. Leave it aside.
- Keep the water from blanched broccoli and blanch the baby corn in the same way. Cool down immediately under cold water then drain the water. Leave it aside.
- Use step 3 water to blanch squid for 30 seconds then cool down immediately under cold water. Then drain the water and leave it aside.
- Place broccoli, baby corn, cherry tomato and squid on a serving plate and you can drizzle the sauce on top or you can just serve the sauce on the side. So people can use the sauce as dipping sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||14 g|