The Starbucks Coffee Customer Loyalty Rewards Program and Birthday Club is an exemplary retail best practices customer loyalty program, which many of the largest U.S. retail and restaurant chains have used as a model when creating their own Customer Loyalty and Birthday Club Programs. As it is with many Starbucks customer-centric practices, changes and improvements to the My Starbucks Rewards programs are on the leading edge of Customer Loyalty.
As with any customer loyalty program, in order to achieve the highest level of customer engagement, My Starbucks Rewards members need to understand exactly how to earn members-only freebies, discounts, coupons, deals, and promos. What follows are the features and benefits of the Starbucks Customer Loyalty Rewards Program as of September 30, 2015.
How the Starbucks Customer Loyalty Rewards Program Works
Starbucks customers can register for the My Starbucks Rewards customer program in three different ways. New My Starbucks Rewards members can go to Starbucks.com to register a refillable Starbucks, Teavana, or La Boulange payment card, or register using the payment-enabled Starbucks mobile app. The following are the features and benefits of Starbucks Rewards Customer Loyalty Program Member:
- Early access to new menu items in Starbucks stores, and new products in the Starbucks online store
- Customized special offers by opting to receive My My Starbucks Rewards email messages
- Ability to make payment at Starbucks stores using the Starbucks mobile app
- Birthday drink or treat just for joining the My Starbucks Rewards customer loyalty program
- Birthday coupon for a discounted purchase at the online Starbucks store delivered to you each year on your birthday
- One Rewards Star credited for each qualified purchase made in a qualified manner. When 12 stars are accumulated, they can be redeemed for free food and drinks
How My Starbucks Rewards Stars Can Be Earned By Starbucks Customers
- Make any purchase at a participating Starbucks or Evolution Fresh retail location using a registered Starbucks, Teavana, or La Boulange Card, or with the Starbucks mobile app
- One star is earned for each purchase, not for each item in the purchase
- Earn six stars by referring a friend who joins the My Starbucks Rewards program and opts in to receive email or mobile communications
- Earn one star for each purchase made at a Teavana, Evolution Fresh, or Boulange retail store in the US or Canada or online at Teavana.com to earn Rewards Stars
- Purchase Starbucks branded coffee with a Star Code in a grocery store or online at the Starbucks store, and then go to Starbucks.com to enter the Star code on that product
- Purchase Starbucks branded coffee online at the Starbucks store, and connect the purchase to your My Starbucks Rewards account
- Members may periodically receive notification about opportunities to earn Bonus Stars by making specific purchases within a specified time period
- Collect five My Starbucks Rewards stars within 12 months to become a Green Level My Starbucks Rewards member
- Collect 30 My Starbucks Rewards stars within 12 months to become a Gold Level My My Starbucks Rewards member and maintain Gold Status by collecting 30 My Starbucks Rewards stars in the 12 month period following your Gold Status anniversary each year
Extra Benefits for Green and Gold Level My Starbucks Rewards Members
- Green and Gold Level Members receive free in-store refills on hot or iced coffee and tea
- Gold Members receive free food or drinks after earning 12 My Starbucks Rewards Stars
- Gold Members are issued a personalized Gold, which is refillable and can be used to make purchases in order to receive Rewards Star credit
- Gold Members will periodically receive Star Codes, which they can use to get discounts and freebies when making specific purchases at Starbucks retail stores
How My Starbucks Rewards Gold Star Freebies Can Be Redeemed
- Gold Rewards members can redeem their free food/drink bonus at participating Starbucks retail stores by telling the Starbucks partner (the employee at the cash register) and presenting their gold card
- All Gold Star and Birthday Club freebies must be redeemed before the specified expiration date for each reward
Review of the My Starbucks Rewards Customer Loyalty Program and Birthday Club
The My Starbucks Rewards program is the Customer Loyalty Program after which many retail and restaurant programs are patterned because it employs a level of personalization that has the potential to connect an emotional connection for My Starbucks Rewards, which is one of the most powerful outcomes that any retail customer loyalty program could hope to achieve.
By offering Rewards Stars with each purchase at a Starbucks, Evolution Fresh, Teavana, and La Boulange store, members get the feeling that they are being given a little something extra with each purchase. By customizing Bonus Stars offers, customers get the feeling that Starbucks is enhancing their individual customer experience without intrusively monitoring their every move.
The free coffee and tea refill for Gold Star Members gives the most active Starbucks repeat customers a reason to walk past local and national restaurant chain competitors which don’t offer free refills to any of its customers on any day for any reason.
As with all customer loyalty programs offered in the U.S. restaurant industry, the My Starbucks Rewards Customer Loyalty Program is focused on keeping customers actively engaged with one of the most valuable brands among all U.S. restaurant chains. Given the observable number of My Starbucks Rewards members who are visiting the stores and making purchases regularly, it’s easy to see that the My Starbucks Rewards program is effective at accomplishing its goal of customer engagement and repeat visits.
Headquartered in Washington, the Starbucks Coffee Restaurant chain is one of the largest U.S. restaurant companies, which affords loyalty club members the opportunity to be active repeat customers wherever they travel throughout the U.S. This gives an advantage when competing with a wide variety of independent coffee shops and major U.S restaurant chains, like Dunkin’ Donuts and McDonald’s that aggressively market their coffee offerings. The freebies and discounts offered to My Starbucks Rewards program give members plenty of reasons to choose Starbucks over other coffee shops and fast food chains.