Steak and Japanese mitsuba herb chirashi sushi are sushi rice topped with pan cooked steak, crumbled egg yolk pieces, and chopped mistsuba herb and fresh ginger, all drizzled with a balsamic vinegar soy sauce dressing. It's a modern fusion mixed sushi rice recipe that you'll love at first bite. The fresh ginger and steak seasoned with balsamic soy sauce are very addicting. You'll find this recipe easy to prepare and impressive!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup/150 grams/6 ounces cooked steak (cubed)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil for pan frying steak
- 2 servings steamed white rice (or brown rice)
- 2.6-ounce package of Sushinoko (powder sushi vinegar mix)
- 1 stalk mitsuba (Japanese herb, may be substituted with watercress or cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (chopped)
- For the Balsamic Soy Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- Dash of black pepper
Gather the ingredients.
If you don't have steamed rice on hand, prepare 4 servings of cooked rice per your rice cooker instruction. To prepare cooked rice on the stove, follow these instructions.
Make the sushi rice. Using warm rice, gently mix in the Sushinoko brand powdered sushi vinegar mix using the edge of a rice paddle with diagonal slashing motions. Note, a 2.6-ounce package of Sushinoko powdered sushi vinegar may be used to season 4 cooked servings of rice (about 1 cup cooked rice per serving).
In a small pot, heat water over medium high heat and hard boil egg. It will take about 8 to 10 minutes for the egg to cook. Remove the egg from the water and let it cool. Peel the shell, save the egg white to enjoy later, and crumble the egg yolk into small bits with a fork.
While the egg is cooking, prepare the balsamic soy sauce. In a small pot heat balsamic vinegar and soy sauce over medium heat until warmed. Add a dash of black pepper and set aside to cool.
Chop mitsuba herb (or watercress or cilantro). Chop ginger into thin matchstick pieces and chop the matchstick pieces into tiny cubes. Set aside.
In a medium frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the steak until medium. Cook about 6 to 7 minutes on the first side, and flip the steak over and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Let the steak rest for about 3 to 5 minutes before slicing and chopping up the steak. By allowing the steak to rest you let the juices circulate back into the meat for tender, juicy meat.
If you prefer, drizzle some of the balsamic soy sauce over the chopped steak to allow the flavor to absorb into the meat. Otherwise, the balsamic soy sauce can be drizzled over the chirashi sushi before serving.
Assemble the chirashi sushi. On individual plates, place a serving of sushi rice on the plate and spread out. Top the sushi rice with cubed beef. Garnish with chopped mitsuba and ginger. Garnish with crumbled egg yolk. Drizzle balsamic soy sauce over the beef and chirashi sushi. Enjoy immediately!
- Try substituting steak with prepared deli style, thinly sliced roast beef. Also, may substitute with thinly sliced black forest ham.
- Use powdered sushi vinegar rice mix as a short cut to making sushi rice. Or, make your own from scratch.