The onion soup mix, spices, and some beer make up the flavorful sauce for this round steak dinner. Feel free to use an unsalted beef or chicken stock instead of beer in this recipe.
Round steak is a good choice for the meal, but a lean chuck steak would be excellent as well. Add some sliced carrots or rutabaga along with the potatoes if you'd like.
- 1 large onion, quartered, sliced
- 8 medium potatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds round steak, cut in 6 to 8 serving-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 envelope beefy onion soup mix
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Combine the sliced onion and potatoes in bottom of the crockpot.
- Arrange the steak pieces over the root vegetables.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, nutmeg, onion soup mix; sprinkle over the beef. Pour beer over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Add salt to taste.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|