A classic in every French cookbook, Steak au Poivre is the perfect main course for a romantic meal.
- 4 1-inch thick strip steaks
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into 2 pieces
- 1/2 cup Cognac
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Season both sides of each steak with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat, and then sauté the steaks, 2 at a time, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the steaks to a heatproof dish and keep them warm in a 175 F oven.
- Pour any leftover liquid from the skillet and lower the heat to medium.
- Add the shallots and 1 piece of butter; sauté for 5 minutes, until cooked.
- Carefully add Cognac (it may flame) and bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in cream and other piece of butter; heat through, stirring constantly.
- Serve over steaks immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|