|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This steamed egg (蒸蛋) with seafood recipe is a very quick and easy dish to prepare and it’s commonly prepared in Taiwanese households. It’s also one of my favourite dishes when I was young.
This dish is similar to a Japanese dish called Chawanmushi. I think a lot of Taiwanese cuisines are influenced by Chinese, Hakka and Japanese cuisines. Taiwan was under Japanese rule for fifty and some older generation Taiwanese people can speak and write in Japanese. So you can imagine Japanese culture has deeply influenced Taiwanese culture.
You can put different kinds of ingredients in the steamed egg, including mince, clams, thousand year-old eggs, pumpkin, butternut squash, crab sticks, salted duck eggs, spinach… etc.
The flavour of this dish is very light and you can taste the freshness of the ingredients. Always make sure the eggs you use are fresh and you can serve this with side dishes and rice to make a complete meal. Alternatively serve with just rice for a light meal.
Cooking tips for steamed egg:
- Be as gentle as possible when you strain the egg mixture through a sieve. This is because you don’t want to create too many air bubbles in the egg.
- Once you pour the egg mixture into a heat proof bowl to steam, leave it to stand for 10 minutes before you steam it. This is also incase there are more air bubbles in the mixture.
- If the egg mixture has air bubbles, once steamed the egg will potentially come out looking like a bee hive with many holes in it.
If you like this recipe, please check out my book “Home-Style Taiwanese Cooking”.
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms **
- 6 prawns (peeled and deveined)
- 80g/2 4-5 oz. squid (cleaned and cut into rings, or use other seafood such as scallops, mussels or fish)
- 1 tsp. cooking oil
- 1 tbsp. edamame beans
- For the Prawn Marinade:
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. potato starch (or corn flour)
- 1/4 tsp. rice wine
- For the Steamed Egg Mixture:
- 375m/12 fl oz./1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- Optional: 1/2 tsp. bonito powder
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- For the Sauce:
- 1/2 tsp. oyster sauce
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. potato starch (or corn flour mixed with 180ml/6 fl oz./ 3/4 cup water)
**Rinse the shiitake mushrooms with cold water to get rid of the dirt and soak in cold water until softened. This will take approximately 20 minutes. You can have a look at my article Shiitake Mushroom” for more information on how to prepare shiitake mushrooms and the health benefits of shiitake mushrooms. If you’re in a rush, just soak the shiitake mushroom in warm water (ideal temperature is around bath water temperature. This will make the shiitake mushroom soften quicker.
Squeeze any excess water from the mushrooms and slice finely. Set aside.
Mix the prawns with the marinade and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
Prepare the steamed egg. Heat the water, salt and bonito powder (the bonito powder is optional) in a pot until hot but not boiling. Add to the beaten eggs slowly while stirring all the time.
Strain the egg mixture through a sieve into a heatproof bowl or deep plate. Add half the seafood to the egg mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and steam at medium heat for about 15 minutes.
Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the shiitake mushrooms, remaining seafood and ingredients for the sauce. Bring to a boil and pour over the steamed egg.
Garnish with edamame beans or as desired and served.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serve 2 people