The best steamed mussels ever! This Thai mussel recipe makes an incredible appetizer or a romantic dinner for two. Fresh mussels are steamed in white wine, then lightly simmered in a basil-coconut sauce that's simply divine. The dish is finished off with more basil and fresh coriander. Serve with your favorite wine and a loaf of crusty French bread to soak up the juices. Enjoy!
- 1 lb fresh mussels
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal (or ginger, grated)
- 2 shallots (or 1/4 cup onion, chopped finely)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Optional: 1/2 red chili (finely sliced)
- 1/3 cup white wine (or white cooking wine)
- Garnish: 1/2 cup fresh basil and coriander leaves (chopped)
- For the Basil-Coconut Sauce:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander (leaves and stems)
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste (or substitute 1 more tbsp. fish sauce)
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- Rinse mussels under cold water. Set in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place all 'Basil-Coconut Sauce' ingredients in a food processor. Process well. Taste test for salt, adding more fish sauce if not salty enough. If too salty for your taste, add a little more lime juice. Add more chili for a spicier sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat. Add 1-2 Tbsp. oil and swirl around, then add the galangal or ginger, shallots or onion, garlic and chili (if using). Stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add white wine and mussels, stirring gently. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer (medium-low) and cover with lid to steam 3 minutes.
- Take off lid and stir gently. If most of the mussels have opened, they are ready to eat. Discard the ones that haven't opened.
- Reduce heat to low. Remove lid and add the basil-coconut sauce. Stir gently. As soon as the sauce is warm, this dish is ready (30 seconds to 1 minute).
- To serve, slide mussels and sauce onto a serving platter, mounding them into a pile. Sprinkle with chopped basil and fresh coriander. If desired, serve with a fresh French loaf, or garlic toast to soak up the juices. Enjoy with a bottle of nice wine and a loved one!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||40 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|