These mussels bathed in a garlicky tomato broth are heavenly, and they are also one of the most budget-friendly seafood options available today. This dish makes a delicious first course or light supper. Serve it with crusty French bread for dipping into the broth.
Clean the Mussels:
- Drop them into lightly salted water to cover and let stand for 15 minutes to rid them of sand.
- Scrub the mussels thoroughly with a stiff brush and remove the fuzzy beards.
- Discard any mussels with broken or open shells.
Start the Broth:
- In a 6-quart pot, melt the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and parsley and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the mussels.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or just until the shells open.
- Gently stir once or twice to ensure even cooking.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to individual bowls, discarding any mussels that haven't opened. Ladle some of the broth into each bowl. and serve right away.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|