|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
The word katsarolas (in Greek: λάχανο κατσαρόλας, pronounced: LAH-hah-no kat-sah-ROHL-lahs) means cooked in a pot, and for this dish of Stewed Cabbage with Mint, a soup or stew pot or a dutch oven works well. The interesting taste combination is a delight as a side dish or meatless main dish.
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped or sliced)
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 2 1/4 pounds of cabbage (outer leaves removed, cut in medium chunks)
- 2 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole cloves
Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
Add cabbage and stir for about 5 minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients (tomato, mint, salt, pepper, cloves) and enough water to cover by about 1/2 inch.
Bring to a boil, cover the pot, reduce heat and simmer (slow boil) for 45 minutes.