The stinger is a simple, classic brandy cocktail that everyone should try at least once. It's easy to mix up and the delicate combination of brandy and mint is one that will delight your senses.
This recipe is one of those easy two-ingredient drinks that takes less than a minute to make. All you need is your favorite bottle of brandy and a little crème de menthe. Pour it over ice, stir, and a fascinating drink awaits.
- 1 3/4 ounces brandy
- 3/4 ounce crème de menthe (white)
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the ingredients into an old-fashioned glass over crushed ice.
Serve and enjoy!
- Simple drinks like this can be served a few different ways. Pouring it over crushed ice is the traditional way, but you can use ice cubes of any size. For the slowest dilution and fullest flavor throughout the drink, consider an ice ball.
- If you prefer a cocktail that's a little fancier or want to get the dilution over and done with, serve the stinger as an "up" drink. Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice, then strain it into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Crème de menthe is not a creamy liqueur. The word crème in the bar is used to describe a liqueur that has more sugar than normal. It's sweet, but definitely not a cream.
- When looking for crème de menthe, you will come across two options: white and green. White crème de menthe is preferred here and is actually clear in color, so the drink looks like brandy on the rocks.
- While the green liqueur is fun for cocktails like the popular grasshopper, it's not the best choice for here because it produces a muddy green colored drink. That's not necessarily bad and it doesn't affect the taste; it just doesn't have the same visual appeal. That said, if all you have is green crème de menthe, go ahead and pour it.
- The devil cocktail takes the stinger to another level. It relies on one additional ingredient that makes a world of difference: a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. It's a fascinating contrast and one you simply have to taste for yourself.
- When you're in the mood for a shot, give the snowball a try. This tasty little party shooter brings crème de cacao into the mix, rounding off the sweet, boozy experience quite nicely. If you really enjoy this combination, feel free to savor it by serving it as a sipper just like the stinger.
How Strong Is This Drink?
The majority of crème de menthe liqueurs are 25 percent ABV (50 proof). Pair that with an 80-proof brandy and your stinger will have an alcohol content around 29 percent ABV (58 proof). That puts this cocktail into the "smooth yet strong" category, meaning it is filled with flavor and won't go unnoticed.