A quick and easy Chinese vegetable recipe of stir-fried mushrooms and bamboo shoots and seasonings is a winning weeknight meal.
- 1 block firm tofu
- 8 - 10 Chinese dried Mushrooms (also called black mushrooms)
- 1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 4 teaspoons water
- 4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- Asian sesame oil to taste, optional
- Drain the tofu and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Soften the dried mushrooms by soaking in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze out any excess water and slice. If desired, strain and reserve a bit of the mushroom soaking water to add to the sauce. (Note: If you are doing this, adjust the amount of chicken broth so that you have 1/2 cup total. If you like, you can substitute mushroom soaking liquid for all the chicken broth).
- Rinse the bamboo shoots under warm running water to remove any "tinny" taste. Drain thoroughly.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the chicken broth, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Set aside. In another small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Set aside.
- Heat the wok and add 2 tablespoons oil, drizzling it around the sides of the wok. When the oil is hot, add the bean curd cubes. Stir-fry until browned. Remove the bean curd from the wok.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to the wok. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the dried mushrooms and the bamboo shoots. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Push the vegetables up to the sides. Re-stir the sauce and add in the middle of the wok. Re-stir the cornstarch and water mixture and add to the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken. Add the bean curd. Heat through. Remove from the stove and stir in a few drops of Asian sesame oil if desired. Serve hot.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|