|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 58g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 19g||69%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This stir fry cabbage recipe—called Bund Gobhi and also known as Patta Gobhi Ki Subji—is an Indian style dish that is made with thinly sliced cabbage, tomatoes, green chiles, grated ginger, mustard seeds, curry leaves and an abundance of spices including tumeric, cumin, coriander and red chili powder. In this recipe, we also include potatoes and peas as optional ingredients, which adds additional depth and flavor to the dish. While this seems like it would take a lot of time to make, this dish—if you've already chopped and sliced the ingredients ahead of time—can be put on the table in around 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 green chilies, chopped fine
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- 2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium potatoes, quartered lengthwise and then sliced thinly, optional
- 1 cup frozen peas, optional
- 1 medium (250 to 300 grams) cabbage, sliced very thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh coriander, for garnish (chopped)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oil in a pan on a medium flame. Add the mustard seeds, green chilies, curry leaves and fry till the seeds stop spluttering.
Add the ginger and stir. Add the tomatoes and cook till they are pulpy.
If you are using potatoes and peas, add them now. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the cabbage and then the turmeric, coriander, cumin, red chili powder and salt to taste. Mix well. Cover, simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread) and a tangy pickle.
- Prep the veggies and spices the night before to save time.
- You can also premeasure the tumeric, coriander, cumin, and red chili powders and put them in a small airtight container together.
- Use fresh peas in place of the frozen ones.
- To make this stir-fry dish less spicy, use a smaller amount of the red chili powder.
- If you're a garlic lover, chop up and add in 2 to 3 cloves of garlic.