This Chinese recipe for stir-fried fish fillets in a wok calls for ginger which is frequently used in seafood dishes to help cover the "fishy" odor.
The boneless fish fillets are marinated for 10 minutes before flash-frying in a wok. Cooking in a wok is not only fun but very efficient because food cooks evenly.
Serve with rice if desired.
- For the Fish:
- 1 pound boneless fish fillets
- For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (or dry sherry or white wine)
- Few drops sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg white
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup fish stock (chicken broth or water)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil for stir-frying
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 slices ginger (shredded)
- 1/2 red onion (sliced)
- Optional: other vegetables as desired (celery, bean sprouts, snow peas, mushrooms or bok choy)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (or to taste)
Marinate the Fish
- In a medium bowl, mix together wine, sesame oil, salt and pepper to taste and cornstarch.
- Cut fish into pieces approximately 1 1/2 inches by 1/2 inch (be sure the pieces aren't too small). Add the fish to the marinade, mixing well, and let the fish marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature.
Make the Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the fish stock, broth or water with the oyster sauce and soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a second small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. Set aside.
- Heat the wok and add 2 tablespoons oil. Remove the fish from the marinade and add them to the wok and sear until lightly browned. Remove the fish from the wok.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the wok. Add the garlic, ginger and red onion, and cook until the onion is lightly browned.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry.
- Add the sauce, heat to bubbling, and add the cornstarch and water, stirring quickly to thicken.
- Return the fish back to the wok. Mix everything through. Sprinkle the cooked fish and vegetables with the ground coriander before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||71 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||33 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|