This delicious Stovetop Rice Pilaf recipe is so easy to make and is the perfect accompaniment to almost any meal. You can make this recipe with any herbs you'd like. For instance, instead of the thyme and marjoram, use basil and thyme, or oregano and marjoram. Marjoram and rosemary would also be very good; but only use fresh rosemary, but only use a small amount of rosemary; too much can overpower the dish.
You can serve this dish with roast chicken, meatloaf, or steak cooked on the grill. It can also be made with brown rice. In that case, the cooking time should increase to 25 to 35 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2-1/4 cups white rice (long grain)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon orange peel (grated)
- 3-3/4 cups chicken broth (heated to boiling point)
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until the rice is coated with the butter mixture. This will take 2-4 minutes; don't rush this step!
- Season the rice mixture with salt and pepper, then add the thyme, marjoram, orange peel, and the hot chicken broth all at once.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Check the rice; if all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, it's done. If the rice isn't quite tender, cover pan and cook for 2-3 minutes longer. Fluff with a fork and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|