Chinese almond tofu (杏仁豆腐), otherwise known as Annin tofu, is a popular dessert throughout the Far East. Annin tofu is a soft jellied dessert made of amongst other things agar and sugar and we always serve it with icy cold syrup and diced fruit. The almond tofu itself is diced into a small diamond shape.
The name tofu refers to the texture of the jelly and because almond tofu is usually made in square shapes with a white colour but it’s not actually tofu, only in shape and texture.
I made this dish I a non traditional way for making Almond tofu dessert. The traditional way is to use milk instead of soy milk and cut the almond tofu into small diamond shapes surrounded by syrup and diced fruit such as watermelon, strawberries, mango, kiwi, pineapple, lychee and melon. I made the strawberry sauce and placed it in the bottom of the dish and there are some fresh diced strawberries in the sauce as well. I garnished this dessert with elderflowers, strawberries and black berries. You can change the fruit on top to anything you like.
Even though my recipe isn’t the traditional way of preparing this dessert it is very tasty and all of the ingredients are very easy to get hold of. Elderflower might be a little challenge to attain but it’s entirely optional.
I highly recommend preparing this dessert well ahead of when you want to serve it as this dessert takes time to set. You can also make this in large quanities.
- For the Strawberry Sauce:
- 100g fresh strawberries (or frozen strawberries)
- 100g caster sugar
- 70ml water
- 2 teaspoons corn flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the Almond Tofu:
- 1 liter soy milk
- 4 pieces gelatin
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g of peeled almonds
- 100g water
- Dash of almond extract
- Garnish: fresh strawberries, blackberries and elderflower
Method for Strawberry Sauce
- Use a food processor or smoothie machine to purify 100g of fresh strawberries then put into a small saucepan along with the water and sugar. Bring this to the boil.
- Mix the corn flour with 1 tablespoon of water in a separate bowl and gradually stir into the saucepan from step one to ensure an even texture. Bring the sauce to the boil again after adding corn flour water. Once it has boiled pour the sauce into a bowl and allow to cool down.
Methods for Almond Tofu:
- Use a food processor to blend the almonds almost to a powder texture.
- Put the ground almond, soy milk, water, sugar and almond extract into a saucepan and bring this to the boil. Once boiling allow it to simmer for 1 hour but stir occasionally while simmering to make sure it doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pan.
- After 1 hour, pass the mixture through a sieve as we don’t want any lumps of almond. After passing though allow the mixture to cool down a little. Soften the gelatin and stir this into the cooled mixture. Cooling the mixture down before adding the gelatin is essential otherwise the gelatin would be destroyed at a high temperature.
- Once you have added gelatin allow the mixture to cool down until the dish is warm but not hot. At this moment you can prepare the glasses for pouring the mixture into.
- In the glass or dish that you choose to use, place small diced fresh strawberries at the bottom and cover this with strawberry sauce. This should fill about one fifth of the glass/dish. Being gentle cover the strawberry sauce with tofu mixture until about 4/5ths of the glass are filled. Repeat this method and leave the almond tofu in a fridge until it has set (this should take about couple hour but I left it overnight.)
- Once the dessert has set, place fresh strawberries, black berries and elderflower on top and it’s ready to serve
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|