This is a super-easy strawberry and blueberry dessert recipe. The berries are spooned over raspberry sherbet and yogurt or whipped cream is topped on the berries.
The fact that it's a red, white, and blue dessert makes it perfect for the 4th of July or any summer cookout or gathering and is a blank canvas for almost limitless variations.
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 to 2 cups blueberries
- Optional: 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (or to taste)
- 8 to 12 small scoops raspberry or strawberry sherbet
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups flavored yogurt (vanilla or lemon, or whipped topping or cream)
- Optional: mint leaves
- Wash berries; hull and slice the strawberries. Stem the blueberries.
- Put all of the berries in a bowl and add the optional 2 to 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Let stand for about 20 minutes for the juices to come out.
- Scoop half of the sherbet into four to six dessert dishes, brandy snifters, martini glasses, or other dish or glass.
- Spoon half of the strawberry-blueberry mixture over the sherbet, and then top with a few tablespoons of yogurt, whipped topping or whipped cream.
- Repeat with the remaining sherbet, berries, and topping. Garnish with a sprig of mint if you'd like.
Tips and Variations
- Add red raspberries or blackberries to the berry mixture.
- Top the yogurt, whipped topping, or whipped cream with coarsely chopped pecans, granola, or vanilla cookie crumbs.
- Top the fruit with a vanilla custard sauce instead of yogurt, or use a lemon sauce.
Red, White and Blue Trifle
This dessert can become a beautiful trifle by doubling the quantities of berries and yogurt or whipped topping or whipped cream, eliminating the sherbet, and adding pound cake to the rest of the ingredients. It can be made a day ahead and refrigerated until party time, makes a beautiful presentation, and is the perfect centerpiece for a dessert buffet.
- Slice a 16-ounce pound cake into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Arrange 1/2 of the cake cubes in the bottom of a trifle bowl.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1/3 of the strawberry-blueberry mixture and its juices.
- Gently spread 1/2 of the vanilla yogurt or whipped topping or sweetened whipped cream over the berries.
- Arrange the remaining cake cubes on top, sprinkle with another 2/3 of the strawberry-blueberry mixture, the remaining yogurt, topping, or cream, and the remaining strawberry-blueberry mixture.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|