Sweet and luscious strawberry bread is a simple, memorable dessert you never knew you needed! It's just as easy to make as banana bread, and brings a fresh new flavor to the same old quick breads. Top with a simple tangy cream cheese frosting, but it's still super-delicious on its own!
It's the perfect spring teatime snack or coffee accompaniment. You can also pack it in a lunch box or serve it at brunch!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 3 tablespoons
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup strawberries (coarsely chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- For the cream cheese frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Gather your ingredients.
Whisk or sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. This is the bowl you will be doing the majority of the mixing in.
Toss the strawberries with 2 to 3 tablespoons of flour, until they are well-coated. This will prevent the berries from soaking into the bread too much, and help them hold their shape better while baking. Set aside.
Whisk together the melted butter, orange juice, and milk in a measuring cup or small bowl. Whisk in the beaten egg. Just make sure the mixture is cool enough before whisking in the egg so that it doesn't scramble the egg.
Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until all the dry ingredients have been moistened. Don't over mix.
Gently fold in the strawberries.
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease it generously. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place it in the oven and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean out of the center.
Pull the bread out of the oven and allow it to cool.
Gather the ingredients for the cream cheese frosting.
While the bread is cooling, whisk together the cream cheese icing ingredients.
Drizzle the icing over the cooled strawberry bread.
Slice and serve!
- Fresh strawberries are best, but if you've got some already sliced and frozen from strawberry season in your freezer, you can use those too!
- Cut the strawberries in a variety of sizes and shapes. Do a few slices, a few chunks, some small and some larger. This provides for a nice variation in how the bread slices look, and how the strawberries are dispersed throughout the bread.
There are tons of variations for this delicious bread!
- Try adding a little lemon juice (about a teaspoon) and zest to the cream cheese icing. It will compliment the slight tang from the orange juice and brings a nice brightness and color to the bread.
- Make it triple berry. Try 1/3 cup of blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries instead of just strawberries.