This easy strawberry cake (or cupcakes) starts with a white cake mix and a box of strawberry gelatin. Fresh strawberries help to flavor the cake and the creamy frosting. Use fresh or frozen thawed strawberries in this recipe.
The gussied-up cake mix makes a beautiful cake or cupcakes, and it is perfect for a spring party or weekend dessert.
- 1 package cake mix (white or yellow)
- 1 package/3 ounces strawberry-flavored gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup strawberries (mashed)
- For the Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 4 tablespoons strawberries (mashed or pureed)
- 5 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans or two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Combine the cake mix and gelatin powder in a large bowl.
- Beat in the vegetable oil, eggs, water, and 3/4 cup of strawberries.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans or among the lined muffin pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes for cake or about 18 to 20 minutes for cupcakes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake or cupcakes in the pan on racks for about 10 minutes. Remove from the pans to the racks to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the 1/4 cup of mashed or pureed strawberries and about 5 cups of confectioners' sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add more confectioners' sugar, if needed to thicken.
- Spread the frosting between cake layers and then frost the top and sides of the cake. Or spread or pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
Note: The original recipe called for 1 cup of oil. I had some very good feedback on that recipe and a few who thought it was too oily or too moist. I made the recipe pictured with 1/2 cup of oil and used a cream cheese icing with some of the pureed strawberries for color and flavor.
Tips and Variations
- If you have extra strawberry puree, brush a little over the layers before frosting the cake.
- To make the frosting with less sugar, cut back on the mashed or pureed strawberries.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|