|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||38%|
|Total Carbohydrate 3g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy strawberry cake (or cupcakes) starts with a white cake mix and a box of strawberry gelatin. Fresh strawberries help to flavor the cake and the creamy frosting. Use fresh or frozen thawed strawberries in this recipe.
The gussied-up cake mix makes a beautiful cake or cupcakes, and it is perfect for a spring party or weekend dessert.
- 1 package cake mix (white or yellow)
- 1 (3-ounce) package strawberry-flavored gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup strawberries (mashed)
- For the Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 4 tablespoons strawberries (mashed or pureed)
- 5 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans or two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners.
Combine the cake mix and gelatin powder in a large bowl.
Beat in the vegetable oil, eggs, water, and 3/4 cup of mashed strawberries.
Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans or among the lined muffin pans.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes for cake or about 18 to 20 minutes for cupcakes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool the cake or cupcakes in the pan on racks for about 10 minutes. Remove from the pans to the racks to cool completely.
For the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add the 1/4 cup of mashed or pureed strawberries and about 5 cups of confectioners' sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add more confectioners' sugar, if needed to thicken.
Spread the frosting between cake layers and then frost the top and sides of the cake. Or spread or pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
Serve and enjoy!
- If you have extra strawberry puree, brush a little over the layers before frosting the cake.
- To make the frosting with less sugar, cut back on the mashed or pureed strawberries.
- If you don't have enough fresh strawberry purée for the frosting, add 3 to 4 tablespoons of strawberry preserves to the frosting.
- Replace the homemade cream cheese frosting with a tub (or two) of store-bought cream cheese frosting. Add 4 tablespoons of mashed strawberries or strawberry preserves to the frosting for color and flavor.