- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk (scalded)
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch pastry shell (baked)
- 2 cups strawberries (1 pint, washed and hulled)
- 1 cup cream (heavy, whipped and sweetened, or 2 cups whipped topping)
- In the top of a double boiler, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt; gradually add milk and cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add a small amount of the hot mixture to the beaten eggs; whisk in quickly. Return egg mixture to hot sauce mixture in double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla extract. Cover and chill.
- Pour chilled mixture into the baked pastry shell. Arrange halved strawberries over the filling. Chill.
- Spread with sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping just before serving. Garnish with more halved berries. Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|