Bake this strawberry cake in 2 or 3 layers. The strawberry flavored gelatin gives the cake mix batter color and extra flavor along with coconut, mashed fresh strawberries, and pecans.
The cream cheese frosting includes more strawberries and pecans. If you're short on time, use a purchased cream cheese frosting or basic vanilla frosting in the recipe.
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix (approx. 18 to 21 ounces)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (3 oz) package strawberry flavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup strawberries (mashed, fresh or frozen; if using frozen, drain some of the juice off and reserve)
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup strawberries, mashed (drain and reserve juice)
- 5 to 6 cups powdered sugar (sifted, 1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
Mix cake mix with strawberry flavored gelatin.
Add oil, eggs, coconut, gelatin, and milk; and beat until well blended.
Stir in 1 cup mashed strawberries and 1 cup pecans.
Bake in 3 generously greased and floured 8- or 9-inch round layer pans at 350° for 35 minutes, or until cake tests done*.
To make the frosting, cream together cream cheese and butter; mix in vanilla and powdered sugar until firm but spreadable. Stir in drained strawberries and pecans.
Drizzle cooled layers with reserved juice then spread with a layer of icing; ice sides and top.
Store cake in an airtight container or wrapping; refrigerate.
*Lightly touch cake in the center with a finger; if it springs back, the cake is done.
You Might Also Like