|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
See Full Nutritional Guidelines Hide Full Nutritional Guidelines
|Servings: 24 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||33%|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
This coffee cake is baked with a strawberry rhubarb layer in the center and a crunchy crumble topping.
- For the Filling:
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb (1-inch pieces, fresh or frozen)
- 2 pints fresh strawberries (mashed)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- For the Cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Crumble Topping:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large saucepan combine rhubarb, strawberries, and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into strawberry rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened; remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in the pieces of butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture.
- Spread half of the batter evenly in a greased 9x13x2-inch baking pan.
- Carefully spread filling over the batter.
- Drop remaining batter evenly over filling with a tablespoon.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4) .
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in flour and sugar until mixture is crumbly then sprinkle over batter.
- Lay foil on lower rack to catch any juice spillovers and bake for about 45 minutes, or until cake is done.
- Cool cake in pan on rack.
- Cut rhubarb coffee cake into squares to serve.