|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This delectable crumb cake is a great way to use this season's rhubarb and strawberries. Serve this cake as a coffee cake for brunch or breakfast, as a dessert cake, or take it along to a potluck.
- 2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb (about 1/2-inch thickness)
- 1 pint strawberries (cleaned, hulled, and sliced and lightly mashed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups/7 ounces all-purpose flour ( spoon and sweep)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Gather the ingredients.
Grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
Combine the rhubarb, mashed strawberries, lemon juice in a medium saucepan.
Combine the 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch and add to the fruit mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
Heat oven to 350 F.
Combine the 1 1/2 cups flour, soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 stick of butter with the 3/4 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs and sour cream. Then beat in vanilla.
Slowly beat in the flour mixture until smooth and blended. Spread in the prepared pan.
Spoon cooled filling mixture over the cake batter.
Combine the 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, 5 tablespoons melted butter, and chopped pecans, if using, and mix well.
Sprinkle evenly over the filling layer.
Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the cake is firm and topping is lightly browned.
Serve and enjoy!
- Weighing is the most accurate method of measuring four. If the recipe specifies weight, weigh the flour.
- Always use a dry measuring cup for measuring flour. Never use a liquid measuring cup.
- If a recipe does not tell you how to measure or give a weight, use the 4 1/2 ounces/128 grams spoon and sweep method.