A tasty spiced streusel tops this sour cream apple pie. With no top crust, it eliminates much of the pastry work. I did include an easy food processor pastry recipe, but you can cut prep time significantly with a frozen crust or refrigerated pastry sheet.
Feel free to add about 1/2 cup of chopped pecans to the crumb topping.
- For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons chilled butter (or shortening, cut into small pieces)
- 3 to 6 tablespoons ice-cold water
- For the Filling:
- 2 cups tart apples such as Granny Smith (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- For the Topping:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- Use a frozen deep-dish pie crust or a sheet of refrigerated pastry. Put the 1 1/3 cups of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the bowl of a food processor; pulse several times to blend thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the butter pieces over the flour and then pulse about 5 or 6 times in one-second bursts. The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs with some small pieces about the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle 3 to 4 tablespoons of ice water over the flour mixture and then put the lid back on and pulse about 8 to 10 times.
- The dough should clump with squeezed in your hand. If it crumbles and breaks up in your hand, sprinkle with more ice water, about 2 teaspoons at a time, and pulse a few more times. Repeat until the dough clumps together when squeezed.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured surface and knead a few times. Shape it into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into an 11- to 12-inch circle. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate and flute the edges.
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons flour; add sour cream, egg, vanilla, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Add the apples and mix thoroughly; pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 F.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/3 cup flour; cut in butter. Sprinkle over the apples and return the pie to the oven.
- Bake for another 20 minutes at 325 F.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|