This stuffed chicken recipe is a traditional combination of chicken, ham, and Swiss cheese.
Serve this flavorful chicken dish with rice or baked potatoes for a fabulous meal or Sunday dinner.
- 8 boneless chicken breast halves (skin removed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 1-ounce slices cooked ham (cut in half)
- 4 1-ounce slices Swiss cheese (cut in half)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 bottle vegetable oil
- For the Mushroom Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk (heated)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Place each piece of chicken between 2 sheets of wax paper, plastic wrap, or in food storage bag. Pound gently to flatten, using a rolling pin or smooth side of meat mallet. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Combine eggs with 1 cup milk; whisk to blend. Dip chicken pieces in mixture.
- Place a piece of ham and a piece of cheese in the center of each flattened piece of chicken. Brush top of cheese slices with the milk and egg mixture. Fold ends over the ham and cheese; roll up, beginning with long side. Secure rolls with toothpicks.
- Dredge the chicken rolls in the 1/3 cup flour then dip in remaining milk mixture; roll in bread crumbs to coat well.
- Place the breaded chicken rolls on a plate; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1/2-inch of vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat.
- Fry chicken rolls for 20 minutes, turning frequently, until golden brown. Drain well.
- Serve with mushroom sauce.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; sauté mushrooms until browned.
- Add flour and stir until mixture is well blended and flour is cooked (about 2 minutes).
- Gradually stir in hot milk and chicken broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to boil and is thickened. Simmer, stirring frequently, over very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||89 g|
|Saturated Fat||28 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||35 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|