This stuffed eggplant is a tasty alternative to heavier fried eggplant slices. It's similar in flavor to eggplant Parmesan, but with ground beef in the filling.
The ground beef is flavored with garlic and tomatoes. Mozzarella cheese tops the stuffed eggplant. Use small eggplants for individual serving sizes.
- 1 large eggplant (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef (lean)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can (approximately 15 ounces) diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh soft bread crumbs (about 3 slices)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese, about 3 or 4 slices or 1 cup shredded
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Trim ends from eggplant and halve lengthwise. Hollow out inside of eggplant, leaving a sturdy shell for stuffing. Place the shells in a foil-lined baking pan and set aside. Dice the eggplant you removed from the shells.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the reserved diced eggplant and saute until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Add the ground beef to skillet; cook while breaking up. Add garlic to the skillet and saute for about 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese. and eggplant to the sauce mixture and stir to blend.
- Spoon the sauce mixture into the eggplant shells.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese slices into triangles and arrange on top of eggplant halves, or top the eggplant with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake stuffed eggplant Parmesan in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- To serve, place eggplant halves on a bed of cooked buttered green beans or spaghetti squash. Of serve the stuffed eggplant on heated marinara sauce with cooked spaghetti.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|