Need a gourmet vegan appetizer idea? These vegetarian stuffed mushrooms with vegetarian sausage would be perfect for any dinner party.
In this elegant vegetarian and vegan appetizer, button mushrooms are stuffed with a meaty mixture of vegetarian sausage, fresh herbs, bell peppers and breadcrumbs. Check to make sure that the bread crumbs you use are vegan and dairy-free, if needed. Plate these little stuffed mushrooms on a large platter, and have the butler circulate!
Vegetarian, vegan, and you could use gluten-free bread crumbs to make it gluten-free if you wanted.
Recipe courtesy of Lightlife Foods
- 4 oz. vegetarian sausage substitute (like Gimme Lean brand sausage substitute)
- 16 button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion (minced)
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper (diced small)
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper (diced small)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp. Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. fresh Italian parsley (flat-leaf, chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: fresh lemon wedges
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and lightly coat a baking sheet with non-stick spray or a homemade oil-based spray.
- Arrange the mushroom caps, top down, on the baking sheet. Spray with a light layer of cooking spray, then bake in the oven until just slightly softened; about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and set the mushrooms aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sautee vegetarian sausage until it is separated and resembles cooked loose sausage, about 4 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break it up as needed. Transfer the cooked vegetarian sausage to a bowl, and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and sautee the onion, peppers and garlic until they are soft, about 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, then mix in the cooked sausage, bread crumbs, and parsley. Season the filling to taste with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Form 1 tablespoon of the sausage and onion filling into a ball. Place it into a mushroom cap, pressing it firmly into the mushroom. It should be generously mounded. Repeat, filling all the mushrooms. Arrange the stuffed mushrooms on the baking sheet.
- Bake the stuffed mushrooms until the filling is lightly browned on top, about 12 minutes. Just before serving, squeeze a bit of lemon juice on the mushrooms, if desired. Enjoy!
These little stuffed mushrooms freeze well. To freeze, wrap snugly in foil packets. To serve once frozen, unwrap and reheat in a 350 degree oven until the mushrooms are heated through.
Scroll down for more vegetarian appetizer recipes to try.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|