|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Tuna and bread crumbs provide the savory filling for these stuffed peppers. A little lemon juice adds extra flavor to the tuna mixture.
- 4 green bell peppers (split, seeds and membrane removed)
- 1 tablespoon onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs (divided)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 can/7 1/2 ounces tuna (flaked)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional: shredded Cheddar, Swiss, or Parmesan cheese
1. Boil peppers in boiling salted water for 5 minutes; drain well.
2. Combine onion, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, egg, milk, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and tuna.
3. Fill pepper shells.
4. Mix melted butter with remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs; sprinkle over stuffed peppers. Place in a shallow baking dish at 400° F (200° C/Gas Mark 6) for 15 minutes.
5. If desired, top with shredded cheese 5 minutes before the peppers are finished baking.