These large stuffed pasta shells are filled with a combination of ricotta and Parmesan cheese. The shells are Baked with a flavorful homemade tomato sauce and a mozzarella cheese topping. The garlic bread is the perfect finishing touch, making this a complete meal.
For a bigger meal, add a tossed green salad or Greek salad.
- 2 dozen large pasta shells
- 24 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs, Italian seasoned
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf crusty bread, such as ciabatta or Italian bread
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped and then mashed to a paste-like consistency
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Cook the pasta shells in boiling salted water, following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cool water. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, and egg; mix until well blended.
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add onion and saute until tender and golden in color. Add the 2 cloves of crushed garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, and basil; mix well and bring to a boil. Reserve 1 cup of sauce. Pour remaining sauce into a 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
- Carefully spoon cheese mixture into shells; arrange shells, opening side up, in tomato sauce in the pan. Pour reserved sauce over shells.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Return stuffed shells to oven along with the garlic bread (see below); bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
For the Garlic Bread
- Cut the bread in half lengthwise.
- In a bowl, combine the softened butter with the 3 cloves of mashed garlic, garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley.
- Spread the butter mixture over the cut sides of the bread and place it in a baking pan (a pan that will fit in the oven alongside the pasta pan).
- Put the pan in the oven along with the shells for the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking time. If desired, broil the bread for a minute or two after you take the stuffed shells out of the oven.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|