Buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes are spicy, sweet, and creamy. They’re a satisfying dinner that requires very little prep and clean-up. It’s the perfect meal for prepping, especially if you are on a keto, paleo, or Whole 30 diet (just leave out the blue cheese).
Simple buffalo chicken is stuffed inside fluffy sweet potatoes, then topped with crisp celery and tangy blue cheese crumbles. We used canned chicken to make things super easy, but you can substitute with any leftover rotisserie, grilled, baked, or boiled chicken.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced chicken breast
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 1/4 cup celery (diced)
- 1/4 cup scallions (chopped)
Gather your ingredients. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes, then pierce each about 5 times with a fork. Coat each in the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
Remove the foil and finish baking for another 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, shred the chicken into a medium bowl. Add the buffalo sauce and garlic powder, stirring to combine.
Slit the top of each sweet potato open and mash the insides with a fork, then return to the baking sheet.
Divide the buffalo chicken evenly between the 4 sweet potatoes and return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until the chicken is heated through. Alternatively you can just microwave the buffalo chicken for three minutes.
Remove from the oven and top with the blue cheese crumbles, dressing, celery, and scallions. Serve immediately
You can use the base of this recipe and change up the sauces or toppings to suit your mood:
- You can make the chicken barbecue by substituting a paleo bbq sauce (or regular, if you aren’t following that diet).
- Make it southwest by tossing the chicken with enchilada sauce and topping with cheese, avocado, and cilantro.
Or mix in any of these toppings:
- Crumbled bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced avocado
- Ranch dressing
- Sour cream
- Corn kernels
- Diced pickled jalapenos
You can make a quicker version of this recipe by simply microwaving the sweet potatoes!
- Place the sweet potatoes around the edges of a microwave safe plate, leaving the center clear.
- Microwave for 20 minutes, rotating the potatoes after 10. If they are not fork tender, then microwave for another 5 minutes.
- Microwave the buffalo chicken, then divide between the sweet potato as described above.