This version of stuffed vegetables (yemista me ryzi, in Greek: γεμιστά με ρύζι, pronounced yeh-mee-STAH meh REE-zee) offers a great way to get her to eat healthy foods you might not otherwise touch. If there's any filling left over, freeze it and use it another time. Defrost for 3-4 hours. It's the same filling used for stuffed grape leaves with rice.
- 1 spring onion (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 pound of zucchini (grated)
- 2 medium carrots (grated)
- 1/2 eggplant (peeled and grated)
- 1 cup of olive oil (divided)
- 4 firm tomatoes
- 4 medium zucchini
- 4 small eggplants
- 4 peppers (green bell, Cubanelle, or Anaheim)
- 1 1/2 cups of long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: toasted breadcrumbs
- Wash the vegetables carefully and dry. With a paring knife, cut the caps off the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant, and both ends off the zucchini and set aside.
- With a spoon, scoop out the pulp and seeds from the eggplant, zucchini, and peppers, and discard.
- Scoop out the tomato pulp, chop well, and set aside. Lightly salt the interior of all vegetables.
- In a pot, heat 1/2 cup of olive oil and sauté the onion for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add grated zucchini, eggplant, and carrots, and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for 15 minutes, and put in a bowl.
- Add the rice, salt, and pepper, and mix well with a spoon until blended.
- With a spoon, fill vegetables loosely with the rice mixture, place in a roasting pan packed closely but not squashed, with caps covering the tops and ends.
- Place tomatoes (and small bell peppers if used) upright, lie the others on their sides.
- Pour 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup water over the top, sprinkle the tops of the upright vegetables with toasted breadcrumbs, and bake at 450F (230C) for 1 hour.
- Halfway through, turn the vegetables that are placed on their sides.
- Note: If the vegetables start to get too brown before cooking time is up, cover with foil.
- Tip: Scoop out vegetables leaving a thin shell, about 1/4 inch. (See how to scoop and stuff with photos.)
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||57 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||40 g|
|Dietary Fiber||14 g|