This is an old-fashioned sugar cream pie. It's a custard type of pie flavored with butter, vanilla, and nutmeg. There's almost no prep time and it's ready in under an hour.
- 1 9-inch pie shell (baked)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: 1 bottle of yellow food coloring (a drop or two for color)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Garnish: sprinkle of Freshly grated nutmeg
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, half-and-half, and salt in a saucepan.
- Cook to boiling point.
- Add vanilla, food coloring, if using, and the butter; return to heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. If there are any lumps, put through a fine sieve.
- Pour the mixture into pie shell and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 325 F for 35 to 45 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
You Might Also Like
Sour cream adds a pleasant tang to this delicious peach pie. It's a one crust pie with a crumb topping.
This luscious pie is made with sliced bananas with a creamy filling and toasted coconut topping.
This is a classic all-butter pastry, perfect for a sweet filled pie, or omit the sugar and use it for a pot pie or quiche.