Special holidays, especially Valentine's Day, are all about showing the ones you love how much you love them by sharing some wonderful food and desserts together. Making things at home is always "sweeter" than store-bought purchases and much appreciated by those you love.
When all you see at stores is refined sugary treats it can certainly be hard to stay committed to a healthy and sugar-free lifestyle. Even if you don't have a lot of time on your hands to prepare a 4-course meal for your Valentine you can still make little sweet, but healthy desserts for the occasion or your celebration.
The only sugar is the natural sugars from the strawberries. The coating is sugar-free using a natural sugar-free chocolate chip by the brand Lily's Sweets. You can find these chocolate chips online or at your local Whole Foods market or health store. The chips are sweetened with stevia, but just as tasty as their counterparts. Bonus: they melt just like regular traditional chocolate chips and work perfectly to lightly sweeten any fruit, but especially strawberries.
It may be a simple dessert but it is surely elegant and beautiful for any party.
- 1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips (like the brand Lily's Sweets)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 14 strawberries
- Optional: 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (or chopped nuts, or mini chocolate chips)
Gather the ingredients.
In a small bowl melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips in the microwave or in a sauce pan over low simmering water until melted.
Stir until completely smooth.
Wash and dry the strawberries but leave on their stem for easier grabbing.
One at a time use a skewer in the center of one strawberry and dip in the chocolate and twirl around to coat.
Lay them on a parchment paper lined or wax paper lined baking sheet.
Coat all strawberries once then coat a second time.
Sprinkle on any toppings of choice and let set for 10 minutes to harden a bit or place in the refrigerator.
- A little bit of coconut oil makes the melted chocolate chips a bit smoother and much easier to dip the strawberries in.
- The key with any fruit is to make sure you dry them well after washing or the chocolate will have a tougher time sticking to the surface.
- Once they are dipped and before you place them back in the refrigerator you can add additional toppings for fun.