Sugar-free, low carb chocolate mousse is rich and creamy. It also contains less than four net carbs per serving, so it is a good low-carb dessert option. And because it is a sugar-free dessert, it could also be ideal for diabetics or anyone looking to lower their sugar intake.
A Healthier Mousse
This chocolate mousse is made with Splenda, which offers a low-calorie alternative to traditional sugar. If you want to experiment with other sweeteners, try stevia. The recipe also includes powdered cocoa, which can be quite healthful if it contains a high concentration of cocoa. Cocoa powder has a high content of flavonoids, a healthy polyphenolic compound, but that level can depend on the processing operation.
Serving the Mousse
Dress up the mousse by putting it in fancy individual cups or glasses, such as wine glasses or martini glasses.
After the mousse sets in the refrigerator, you can top it with more whipped cream and cocoa powder, or serve it plain. The gelatin and heavy whipping cream in the mouse helps to stabilize the dessert, giving it its firm-yet-creamy texture.
- 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- 2 tbsp. boiling water
- 1 c. Splenda
- 1/2 c. unsweetened powdered cocoa (Ghiradelli preferred)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 cup whipped cream (lightly sweetened with Splenda)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (for dusting)
- Chill a medium-sized mixing bowl in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, place the cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle with gelatin and let it stand for one minute. Add boiling water and stir the mixture until the gelatin is dissolved. Set that bowl aside.
- In the chilled bowl, combine Splenda, powder, salt, whipping cream, and vanilla until roughly mixed together. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat mixture until it becomes stiff. Do not over-beat or you will end up with butter. Beat in the gelatin mixture until it is combined. Again, take care not to overbeat or you will lose the texture.
- Spoon the mousse into a decorative dessert dishes or martini glasses. Chill the glasses for one to two hours before serving.
- Top with whipped cream lightly sweetened with Splenda and a sprinkling of powder if desired.
Note: You can make this recipe a day in advance. If you're not serving it right after preparation, seal plastic wrap around the bowl or dishes while it is in the refrigerator. Then remove it prior to serving.