If you love gummy candies, you maybe be in for a welcome surprise. Gummy candy treats are super easy to make at home. You no longer have to wait for a trip to the grocery store to satisfy your craving. Now you can do so in your very own kitchen. If you are on a sugar-free diet, or just prefer to eat sugar-free, have no fear. It's easy to modify homemade gummies to be sugar-free.
Not only are homemade gummy candies easy to make, but you'll likely find they are more flavorful and have a better texture than the storebought variety. Additionally, you can customize them by making your own flavors and making them in a wide variety of fun candy molds and shapes. You can use any type of mold you like. Molds are often sold at better baking or craft stores and range from expensive metal and polycarbonate molds to inexpensive plastic molds. They all work equally well, it just depends on your budget and preference.
If you don't have any candy molds, cannot locate any retailers near you, or prefer not to buy them, you can substitute them with a few options you likely have around the house. Mini muffin tins, standard ice cube trays, or the more modern silicone trays (which often come in whimsical shapes) will all work well. Finally, if none of those options work, simply pour the mixture into a pan and cut the large square into smaller squares or other shapes once it's set. The candy molds are simply for aesthetics and make the gummies look cute. They have no impact on the taste and these will taste good no matter the shape!
- 1 package sugar-free flavored gelatin (any flavor)
- 6 packages unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2-3 candy molds (depending on the size of the cavities in the mold)
Gather the ingredients.
Prepare candy molds by spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine unflavored gelatin, flavored gelatin, and cold water in a small saucepan. Stir until well mixed.
Place saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Continue stirring while mixture heats up and becomes liquefied.
Once the mixture is fully liquid, remove from heat and pour into prepared molds.
Allow to cool slightly, then place in freezer for 10 minutes to solidify.
Once solid, remove carefully from molds, and enjoy!
- To alter the flavor (and color) of each batch, select different flavors of the sugar-free gelatin.
- Another option is to mix two packages of complementary flavors and see how the results turn out. If you choose to mix flavors, just be sure to use a half package of each flavor. If you choose to use a full package of each flavor, you'll need to double the rest of the recipe and will end up with double the gummies.