Vegan carrot cake is always a hit, and it's easy to make as the carrots provide enough moisture that you don't need to worry about using and egg replacer as a binder. This vegan carrot cake recipe with whole wheat flour uses dates and orange juice for a bit of sweetness so it is refined sugar-free. Pineapple juice concentrate also works well in this sugar-free carrot cake recipe.
Using whole wheat flour in this vegan cake does make it a bit heavier, but carrot cake isn't usually a very light cake anyways. Recipe courtesy of Beverly Lynn Bennett of VeganChef.com.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups dates (chopped)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup carrot (grated or shredded in a food processor)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed)
- First in a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Next, combine the water, dates, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg in a small saucepan. Bring this mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, and allow to gently simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Next, place the shredded or grated carrots in a bowl and pour the hot water, date and raisin mixture over them, and allow to cool completely. This step allows the carrots to soften up a bit. Next, add the chopped walnuts and 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate to the carrot mixture and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Pour your carrot batter into a lightly greased cake pan.
- Bake your sugar-free whole wheat carrot cake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- After allowing to cool, frost your vegan carrot cake with a sugar-free vegan frosting. A cream cheese frosting is traditional for carrot cake. Try this classic vegan cream cheese frosting recipe or this orange vegan cream cheese frosting recipe or, for something a little bit different, try this raw vegan coconut butter and agave nectar frosting recipe. Enjoy!
More Vegan Cake Recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|