|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Lettuce Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Pecans was inspired by one Giora Shimoni enjoyed at Bonofait, a kosher cafe and patisserie that has since moved from its original location in sleepy Kfar Rut to larger, sleeker digs in Reut, Israel. Shimoni says the combination of the flavorful dressing with the lettuce, pecans and sun-dried tomatoes is so delicious, he considers the feta cheese strictly optional. Cheese lovers won't want to skip the briny garnish, but the appeal of a pareve version of the salad for meat meals is undeniable.
Make It A Meal: Follow the Salad with Chef Todd Gray's Baked Salmon with Potatoes and Green Olives and roasted asparagus or steamed green beans. Serve Challah Bread Pudding with Chocolate and Cherries for dessert.
Edited by Miri Rotkovitz
- For the Salad:
- 1 to 2 hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1 5-ounce package mixed baby greens
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (cut into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup pecans (chopped)
- Optional: 1/3 cup feta cheese
- For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled, smashed, and finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Gather the ingredients.
- Wash and dry the lettuce leaves. Tear the romaine into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Add the baby greens and toss together. Top with the sun-dried tomatoes and pecans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic, parsley, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over salad, gently toss, and serve. If preferred, serve the salad with the dressing on the side. Garnish with the feta cheese if desired.