What better way to start your day than with a breakfast stacked with healthy, energy giving properties? One which is also easy to make, and utterly delicious to eat, that you'll actually look forward to that alarm going off in the morning. Well, you can find all of that and more in an açaí breakfast bowl. Depending what you have available in the cupboard, refrigerator, or fruit bowl, you can make this breakfast bowl your own by filling it with all your favorite foods. What a fabulous breakfast!
Açaí is a berry from the Amazon forest of Brazil. They are low in sugar and a fabulous source of antioxidants and minerals, and when blended with fruits, seeds, and nuts, it will pack even more of a health-giving punch.
Organic açaí freeze-dried berry powder is a handy store-bought pantry ingredient, as it can be added to many drinks, breakfasts, and even into ice cream. Here it makes a super-healthy and delicious breakfast bowl when mixed with nut milk, nut butter, and heaps of fresh fruit. The powder can be bought from health food shops and online, but has a relatively short shelf life, so only buy as you need.
- 2 cups strawberries (frozen)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (frozen)
- 1/2 cup mango slices
- 2 ripe bananas (sliced and frozen)
- 4 tablespoons organic açaí freeze-dried powder
- 2 tablespoons organic nut butter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Toppings: your choice (suggestions in the list below)
- The night before, wash and dry your fruits. Remove any leaves from the strawberries and stems from the blueberries. Slice the banana. Pop all the fruits pieces into a Ziploc bag and freeze for the next morning. You can also buy ready frozen fruits, which are always handy to keep in the freezer just in case.
- When you are ready for breakfast or a power-packed snack, blend the fruits using an immersion blender or food processor, with the açaí powder, the almond milk, and nut butter to create a thick, yogurt-like consistency. Do not over-process or the mixture can go slimy. If the puree is too thick, add a little more nut milk. Too thin, whizz again with another banana or more frozen fruits.
- Divide the açaí blend between two bowls, roomy enough to hold the toppings, then pile on your chosen healthy topping; the choice is up to you.
Suggested Toppings for Açaí Bowl:
- Goji berries
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Mixed chopped nuts
- Bee pollen
- Raw cacao nibs
- Dried coconut flakes
- Sliced fresh fruit
- Fresh herbs
These breakfast bowls can be made using frozen açaí berry pulp, but this can be expensive. Use it alone, or blend with your chosen fruit. Just make sure to use only one banana or the puree will be too thick.
Switch out the nut milk with other flavorings; coconut water is a refreshing change, or use one of your favorite juices. Use regular milk if you wish for a non-vegan bowl.