Susan's breakfast casserole recipe is made with eggs, bacon or sausage, and cheese. This is an excellent choice for a busy weekend family breakfast or for a holiday morning. This casserole can also be prepared the night before. Just cover it, refrigerate it overnight, and pop it in the oven in the morning!
This is our most popular breakfast casserole recipe, and it is really quite versatile. See the tips and variations below the recipe for make-ahead directions and some substitutions and add-in ideas.
Related Recipe: Impromptu Ham and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
- 4 slices bread
- 12 to 16 ounces bacon or breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease the bottom of a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Tear 4 slices of bread into small pieces and place in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle cooked crumbled bacon or sausage over bread pieces. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the bacon or sausage.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and mustard; pour over the cheese layer.
- Bake at 350 F for 35 to 45 minutes.
Serves 4 to 6.
Tips and Variations
- Make-Ahead - This casserole can be prepared and refrigerated, unbaked, overnight. Just take it out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking.
- Use diced leftover or deli ham in place of the bacon or sausage.
- Omit the bacon or sausage for a vegetarian version of the recipe.
- Replace the sliced bread with torn croissants, English muffins, or biscuits.
- Add some sauteed onions and peppers for a brunch dish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||35 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|