Chicken breasts and pineapple are cooked with rice in this easy one-pot meal. The dish is a surprisingly simple preparation, and it is delicious as well as colorful. Another great thing about this rice dish is that the carrots are cooked just until crisp-tender and still a little crunchy, adding texture along with the color and flavor.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves or about 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- nonstick cooking spray or 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or peanut oil
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 can (14 oz.) pineapple tidbits or chunks in juice, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice or Uncle Ben's converted rice
- 3/4 cups finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup each chopped sweet red bell peppers and green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion, optional
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions, some of the chopped green tops reserved for garnish
- Pat the chicken pieces with paper towels and remove any excess fat or skin. Dice the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat the pan with cooking spray or oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring, until no pink is showing.
- Add the chicken broth and pineapple with juice, along with the rice, finely chopped carrots, bell peppers, and sweet onion, if using.
- In a small bowl combine the ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic. Pour into the rice mixture and stir to blend.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pan. Simmer, frequently stirring, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, or about 20 minutes.
- Add the green onions and cook 5 minutes longer. Garnish with the reserved chopped green onion tops and serve hot.
Tips and Variations
- For a little extra heat, add about 1 teaspoon of Asian-style chili paste to the ketchup mixture.
- With Brown Rice - Brown rice takes longer to cook, and will probably need more liquid. If using brown rice, put the browned chicken pieces on a plate and keep warm. Put the 1 1/4 cups of long grain brown rice in the pan with the chicken broth and the pineapple juice. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan along with the pineapple, vegetables, and the remaining ingredients (except green onions) and continue cooking until the rice is tender, about 25 to 30 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Add more chicken broth as needed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|