This sweet and sour pork makes a delicious meal with hot cooked rice. This is a flavorful sweet and sour pork the family will love.
The pork cubes are deep fried and then combined with a delicious sweet and sour sauce and vegetables. It's a classic sweet and sour recipe with peppers and pineapple chunks. I like to use red and green or multicolored peppers in the dish.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder (cut into small cubes, about 1/2-inch)
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice (drained, juice reserved)
- 1 bell pepper (cut into squares, red or green or both)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 4 tablespoons cold water until smooth)
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a deep frying pan to about 370 F. Mix the egg, flour, salt, and 1/4 cup water. Dip pork cubes into the batter and drop into the hot oil.Fry until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the pineapple, green pepper, vinegar, and brown sugar. Add water to the reserved pineapple juice to make 3/4 cup. Add to the pineapple mixture, along with the 1 tablespoon molasses. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour the cornstarch and water mixture into the sauce mixture and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened.
- Stir in the pork and bring back to the boil.
- Serve hot with rice.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||30 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|