Note: Total cooking time includes time for dry frying the tofu.
- 14–16 ounces firm or extra firm tofu (drained for at least 15 minutes, cut into triangles, slices, or cubes, about 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and cut on the diagonal or roll cut)
- 1/2 onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (cut into chunks)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (cut into chunks)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (minced)
- For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar (also called white rice vinegar)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (mixed with 4 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil such as canola, for stir-frying
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
1. While the tofu is draining, prepare the vegetables (carrot, onion, and bell peppers) and aromatics (ginger and garlic). After cutting, the sliced carrot should be blanched in boiling water for about 4 minutes, until nearly fork tender, then quickly plunged into a cold water bath. Drain thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Lay all the ingredients on a plate and set near the stove.
2. Also while the tofu is draining, prepare the sweet and sour sauce.
Combine the sauce ingredients (the pineapple juice, rice vinegar, brown sugar and cornstarch/water mixture), in a bowl, stirring in the cornstarch/water slurry last. Set near the stove.
3. Dry fry the drained and sliced tofu.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pre-heated wok, swirling the oil so it coats the sides. When the oil is hot, add the ginger and garlic. Stir for a few seconds until aromatic, then add the onion. Stir briefly, then add the carrots and the green bell peppers. Stir-fry for a minute and add the red bell peppers. Stir-fry for about another minute.
5. Give the sauce a quick re-stir, then add into the wok, turning up the heat if needed. When the sauce thickens, stir in the tofu and the pineapple chunks. Cook for about 2 more minutes to heat through. Serve hot over rice.
More Tofu Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||107 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||17 g|