If you've ever had a sweet and sour dish at a Chinese restaurant and wondered how they made it, this vegetarian and vegan recipe is for you! Sweet and Sour Tofu with Vegetables is an easy to prepare recipe that will have your family thinking you picked up Chinese take-out! Serve over prepared rice. If you like sweet and sour tofu, you might also want to try this recipe for sweet and sour tempeh.
Need it to be gluten-free? Double-check to make sure your vegetable broth is gluten-free, and use tamari instead of soy sauce.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari to keep it gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 (14-ounce) package of firm or extra firm tofu (drained and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornstarch and vegetable broth, then add the vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, ginger and cayenne pepper until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the garlic, onion, and carrots in vegetable oil about 5 minutes, until carrots begin to soften. Add the pepper and mushrooms and stir-fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth mix to the veggies and cook until mixture thickens, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add tofu and allow to cook at least 5 more minutes. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Like This Recipe?
Loving this vegetarian and vegan tofu recipe? Here are some more incredible things you can do with tofu:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|