Like barbecue tofu? This recipe for Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Tofu has a bit of sugar and orange juice for sweetness but gets a spicy kick from chili powder and red pepper. Tofu is always a healthy, low-fat and easy to grill item to bring along to a vegetarian barbecue, and this easy vegetarian and vegan recipe is sure to be a hit!
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, well pressed and sliced into 3/4 inch rectangles
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first. Not sure how to do that? See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- Whisk together the barbecue sauce, sugar, chili powder, pepper and orange juice over medium low heat until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Place the barbecue sauce mixture in a wide flat dish, and place the tofu in the sauce, coating both sides well. Allow to marinate for at least two hours.
- Grill for 4 or 5 minutes on each side, brushing with additional sauce.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper just before serving.
Never grilled tofu before? Check out these tofu grilling tips.
More Vegetarian and Vegan Barbecue Recipes:
Balsamic Barbecued Beets
Garlicky Grilled New Potatoes
Vegetarian Grilled Apples and Cabbage
Grilled Peaches with Ice Cream
Spicy Grilled Corn on the Cob
Thai Style Barbecued Eggplant
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|