|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 4|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 70g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Like barbecue tofu? This recipe for Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Tofu has a bit of sugar and orange juice for sweetness but gets a spicy kick from chili powder and red pepper. Tofu is always a healthy, low-fat and easy to grill item to bring along to a vegetarian barbecue, and this easy vegetarian and vegan recipe is sure to be a hit!
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu (well-pressed and sliced into 3/4-inch rectangles)
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first.
Whisk together the barbecue sauce, sugar, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and orange juice over medium low heat until well combined, about 3 minutes.
Place the barbecue sauce mixture in a wide flat dish, and place the tofu in the sauce, coating both sides well. Allow to marinate for at least two hours.
Grill for 4 or 5 minutes on each side, brushing with additional sauce.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper just before serving.
- Use firm, or if possible, extra-firm tofu, and always press your tofu very well before grilling. This removes a lot of the water that is naturally in tofu and will allow it to grill better. You may also want to freeze and then slightly thaw your tofu before grilling. This will allow the tofu to absorb more of the marinade flavors.