Deliciously sweetened with brown sugar, molasses, and honey, these baked beans have a nice kick with the addition of chipotle peppers and Bourbon whiskey.
The secret to good baked beans is slow cooking! After 3 hours in a low-temperature oven, these beans are thick and rich! If you don't have that kind of time, just kick up the temperature and bake for only an hour. Still good.
- 1 28-ounce can of beans (northern or pinto)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chipotle (pureed or minced)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (preferably smoked)
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup onion (finely diced)
- 2 strips of bacon (raw and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (such as Jim Beam)
Preheat oven to 275 F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, molasses, Worcestershire, chipotle and paprika.
Add the beans, corn, onion, bacon, and bourbon and mix well. Transfer to a baking dish and cover.
Place in oven and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove cover last 1/2 hour to allow beans to thicken and caramelize a bit on top. Stir well before serving.
Note: You can speed up the cooking process by turning the oven up to 350 F and baking for only an hour. Still good but not quite as rich.