|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
If you are a fan of sweet and sour meatballs or little hot dogs in a flavorful sauce, you will love this sweet and spicy kielbasa recipe—it is just as delicious and even quicker to make. It is a simple dish made with just four ingredients; finely chopped onion, brown sugar, and mustard flavor this easy slow cooker sausage dish which can be served as an appetizer or even as a dinner entree with a green vegetable, potatoes, macaroni salad, or baked macaroni and cheese on the side.
As an appetizer, you can serve it right from the slow cooker, and the recipe is easily scaled up for a large party. Perfect for the big game or even a cookout—all you need are some toothpicks and plenty of napkins.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup spicy mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
In the crockpot, combine brown sugar, mustard, and onion; add the kielbasa and stir well to coat evenly.
Cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve the sausage bites hot from the slow cooker.
- Although it may be thought of as one type of sausage, kielbasa is actually the generic Polish word for sausage—and there are many varieties. Most are made of pork, but some will be uncooked and unsmoked while others are smoked and dried. Some kielbasa is slightly seasoned and other versions are hot and spicy. Since this recipe includes a flavorful sweet and spicy sauce, you will want to select a kielbasa that is mild in flavor so it does not compete with the other ingredients. Also, make sure it is already cooked as this recipe will just heat the mixture to create a sauce and warm up the sausage.
- This sweet and spicy sausage recipe is perfectly delicious as is but is also wonderful with a few added ingredients. Try including pieces of bell pepper or even pineapple chunks along with the kielbasa.
- Lighten the dish with turkey kielbasa or spice it up with Cajun style andouille sausage.