These Thai glazed cashews are a tantalizing combination of sweet, salty and spicy, making them an excellent beer nut or snack food. Perfect for the holiday season, these glazed nuts can be made in a matter of minutes and served alongside your party platters. Great with beer and cocktails, but also delicious sprinkled over salads or desserts (excellent on ice cream!). Or fill a pretty jar with these glazed nuts and give them away as a gift to the Thai food lover on your list. ENJOY!
- MAKES 3 cups glazed nuts
- 3 cups unsalted cashews, roasted or unroasted (other types of nuts work too, such as pecans and walnuts)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. canola or other vegetable oil
- Spread cashews out on a baking sheet and place in the oven at 350 degrees. Allow to bake until cashews appear golden brown in color (15-30 minutes) If your cashews are already roasted, allow to bake for 10 minutes (this will just crisp them up nicely).
- Remove from oven and slide nuts onto a plate or onto your counter-top to cool slightly.
- Place a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil plus the chili flakes and cayenne pepper. Stir the chili into the oil.
- When oil is hot, add the nuts. Stir-fry until nuts are coated with chili oil (about 20 seconds).
- Add the salt and sugar. Stir-fry about 1 minute, or until the sugar has dissolved. Don't over-cook, or the sugar will start to burn.
- Remove from heat. Slide nuts onto a sheet of wax paper, parchment paper, or tin foil and allow to cool. While cooling, do a taste-test. Add another sprinkling of dried chili flakes if not spicy enough. Add a little more salt if you prefer them saltier.
- Enjoy your sweet and spicy cashews on their own as a snack, or with beer or party drinks. These nuts are also excellent in salads, such as my Green Papaya Salad Recipe. Or serve them over ice cream along with my Thai Sweet Chili Ice Cream Dessert. Store your glazed nuts in a covered container or jar (canning jars work well and look pretty too). ENJOY!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|