|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Kielbasa is a wonderful sausage that is almost always sold smoked and precooked, so it's ready to use right out of the package.
This simple three-ingredient slow cooker recipe for sweet and spicy smoked kielbasa is perfect for an appetizer. Serve it with little toothpicks or forks so people can nibble on the chunks or cut the sausage into larger pieces and serve it as a main course.
Kielbasa is often made and sold in a ring form, but you can sometimes find them in links. The shape has no effect on the flavor or texture, but it does affect presentation.
The spiciness of this dish will depend on the type of mustard you use. There are so many wonderful kinds of mustards on the market now, including a number of hot mustard options. If you want a milder dish, use a honey mustard, plain good old American yellow mustard, or Dijon mustard.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup spicy mustard
- 2 pounds smoked fully cooked kielbasa (cut into 1-inch pieces)
Combine the brown sugar and the mustard in a 3- to 4-quart crockpot.
Add the kielbasa, and stir to evenly coat the sausage with the other ingredients.
Cover the crockpot and cook the sausage mixture on low heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until the kielbasa is thoroughly heated to 165 F and is glazed with the brown sugar mixture.
Serve immediately or turn the slow cooker to "keep warm" and hold it for two to three hours.
- You could certainly add other ingredients to this recipe. Some chopped onion would be good, but since the recipe is really just heated in the slow cooker, think about sautéing it before you add it to the sausage, sugar, and mustard.
- You also could add potatoes and baby carrots for a one-dish meal. In that case, serve it with some pasta or brown rice and a nice green salad.
- For the main dish, serve this with a side of sauerkraut sautéed with sliced apples.
- Cut the sausage into 6-inch pieces before placing in the slow cooker. Serve it on hoagie rolls topped with coleslaw for a delicious sports-venue-style sandwich.
- This recipe easily can be made on the stovetop. Just brown the sausages, then add the brown sugar and mustard, and heat over low heat until the sausages are glazed.
- Place sausage links on a hot grill, turning once or twice. Once they start to sputter, glaze them with a combination of brown sugar mixed with spicy mustard. Watch carefully because the sugar can cause the kielbasa to burn.